Favourite Books - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
“Our instructors do not understand how it is,” she says. “To be bound to someone in such a way. They are too old, too out of touch with their emotions. They no longer remember what it is to live and breathe within the world. They think it simple to pit any two people against each other. It is never simple. The other person becomes how you define your life, how you define yourself. They become as necessary as breathing. Then they expect the victor to continue on without that. It would be like pulling the Murray twins apart and expecting them to be the same. They would be whole but not complete. You love her, do you not?”
“More than anything in the world,” Marco says.
Tsukiko nods thoughtfully.
“My opponent’s name was Hinata,” she says. “Her skin smelled of ginger and cream. I loved her more than anything in the world, as well. On that cherry-blossom day, she set herself on fire. Ignited a pillar of flame and stepped into it as though it were water.”
(inspired by mmorrow’s magazine-type photosets)
He is taking a course on Marxist ideology.
He says, “The only real solution is to smash the system and start again.”
His thumb is caressing the most bourgeois copy of the communist manifesto that I have ever seen,
He bought it at Barnes and Noble for twenty-nine U.S. American dollars and ninety-nine cents,
Its hard cover shows a dark man with a scarved face
Waving a gigantic red flag against a fictional smoky background.
The matte finish is fucking gorgeous.
He wants to be congratulated for paying Harvard sixty thousand dollars
To teach him that the system is unfair.
He pulls his iPhone from his imported Marino wool jacket, and leaves.
What people can’t possibly tell from the footage on TV
Is that the water cannon feels like getting whipped with a burning switch.
Where I come from, they fill it with sewer water and hope that they get you in the face with your mouth open
So that the hepatitis will keep you in bed for the next protest.
What you can’t tell from Harvard square,
Is that when the tear gas bursts from nowhere to everywhere all at once,
It scrapes your insides like barbed wire, sawing at your lungs.
Tear gas is such a benign term for it,
If you have never breathed it in you would think it was a nostalgic experience.
What you can’t learn at Barnes and Noble,
Is that when they rush you, survival is to run,
I am never as fast as when the police are chasing me.
I know what happens to women in the holding cells down there and yet…
We still do it.
I inherited my communist manifesto,
It has no cover—
Because my mother ripped it off when she hid it in the dust jacket of “Don Quixote”
The day before the soldiers destroyed her apartment,
Looking for subversive propaganda.
She burned the cover, could not bring herself to burn the pages,
Hoped to God the soldiers couldn’t read,
They never found it.
So she was not killed for it, but her body bore the scars of the torture chamber,
For wanting her children to have a better life than she did,
Don’t talk to me about revolution.
I know what the price of smashing the system really is, my people already tried that.
The price of uprise is paid in blood,
And not Harvard blood.
The blood that ran through the streets of Santiago,
The blood thrown alive from Argentine helicopters into the Atlantic.
It is easy to say “revolution” from the comfort of a New England library.
It is easy to offer flesh to the cause,
When it is not yours to give.
When I was first starting the whole process of finding applying to colleges, I was blessed enough to attend one of the best charter schools in the country, with several great teachers and a CAP Advisor that put so much time and effort into helping us figure out what we were going to do with our futures. I know not everyone is so lucky to have access to the same sort of people or resources, so here’s a long masterpost of many useful links and lots of great information you can use. If you ever want advice or to talk about college, feel free to message me!
Guides and Articles to Help Decision Making and Overall Process
- For first-generation college students
- For finding colleges and scholarships (A MUST CLICK FOR ALL)
- Questions to ask yourself when deciding your major
- Should you double major?
- Is studying abroad right for you?
For High School Students
- Check out fee waivers for AP testing AND the SATs
- How do things change from high school to the real world?
- 11 college tips they won’t tell you in school
- 9 myths about college life that aren’t necessarily true
- 10 common mistakes made by college freshmen
- 15 tips on conquering your college freshmen fears
For Students in Florida
- MDC is a great+cheap place to start your college education
- Even better if you can apply and study in their Honors College
- Attending MDC? See if you can be an American Dream Scholar
- Check your eligibility for Bright Futures Scholarship
For College Students
- How to pass a college class
- What to do if you failed a class
- 10 college mistakes to avoid
- A student’s guide to surviving college finals
- A guide to surviving living on campus and having roommates
- What is the GED test?
- What is on the test?
- Free online GED prep course
- Sample GED test questions
- Free practice GED test
- Multiple free GED practice exams by 4Tests
- What is the SAT?
- When to take the test
- Register for the SAT (Ask your school for waivers if you can)
- Official SAT Question of the Day
- Official SAT practice questions
- Help donate rice to the hungry by answering practice questions
- 5 sources for free SAT Prep
- ACT Test 101
- Official ACT test prep
- ACT Question of the Day
- ACT practice questions and sample writing prompts
- Free ACT practice exam by 4Tests
- 7 sources for free ACT practice
- 21 strategies to improve your ACT score
- College financial aid terms defined
- What can I use the financial aid office for?
- Common financial aid myths
- Important college financial aid deadlines
- FAFSA deadlines by State
- 10 tips for getting the most out of college financial aid
- Apply for Federal Student Aid (Which you NEVER have to pay for)
- Paying for college with grants
- The ins and outs of scholarships
- Scholarship for women/POC studying to work in video games
- Student Loans 101
- Federal Student Aid - What you need to know about loans
- 8 tips for taking out student loans
- Volunteer for the community and get help paying off your loans
Saving, Managing, and Making Money
- Buying/renting textbooks/learning materials at really cheap prices
- 35 discounts your student ID could get you
- 5 way to relax for under $5
- Managing and saving money in college
- 5 ways to track your college expenses
- 20 different ways to make money in college
- You can travel cheaper as a student
- Youth and student discount cards
- 4 tips for creating the perfect class schedule
- Do research on the professors of the classes you want to take
- Tips for Using the Rate My Professor Website
High-Quality Studying+Productivity Resources (FOR FREE!)
- Free lecture notes, textbooks, exams, and videos from MIT
- Khan Academy - Free for everyone, everywhere, about everything
- Take your notes and flashcards with you everywhere you go
- Help donate rice to the hungry by studying any of these subjects
- 6 free online courses that can improve your life
- 25 apps college students shouldn’t live without
- 10 study tips to improve your learning
- 23 science-backed study tips
- Intense study tips
- Improve your studying skills
- How to get motivated to study
- Google smarter
- Getting even more out of Google
- Project Gutenberg offers over 45,000 free eBooks
Writing Essays + Papers
- The 5 best free word processors
- Writing resources to use use general
- When you’re not sure where to capitalize in a title
- Help in building your works cited
- For when you need even more help making citations
- For when the word you want is on the tip of your tongue
- Use Google Scholar for finding credible sources + info
- Alternatives to the word “said”
- Common errors in English usage
- Common English grammar errors to avoid
- The importance of the oxford comma
Other Helpful Resources
- How To: Become An Adult
- Really long and great masterpost that I use all the time
- Good advice for submitting art school portfolios
- Musical Theatre Auditions Masterpost
- A Self Help Masterpost of Masterposts
- Recovery resources
- Contraceptives Masterpost
- Essential Productivity Apps for any student
- How to keep your laptop in tip-top shape
I can’t believe someone made a fucking audio post for that stupid deer picture I made. this is unbelievable. I’ve reached a new level of sentience. I am unstoppable. I am the alpha and the omega.
this is my favourite fucking picture on the internet and the fact that it has an accompanying audio post makes me wanna cry tears of joy.
DIY Wire and Wool Cactus Tutorial by Nicole Valentine Don for Justina Blakeney. Really easy and very oiginal tutorial. Fo more cactus DIYs (cupcakes, painted rock cactus, felt cactus etc…) go here: truebluemeandyou.tumblr.com/tagged/cactus
a mix for urban witches; who breathe in smoke and exhaust and breathe out magic, who love the city like a familiar, whose veins are laced with starlight and nightshade and neon. [ l i s t en ]
i. la la la song - ahs: coven | ii.i put a spell on you - joss stone | iii. jag vet en dejlig rosa - robyn | iv. climbing up the walls - radiohead | v. where the boats go - M83 | vi. ash tree lane - MS MR | vii. custom car crash - calla | viii. moon and moon - bat for lashes | ix. seekir - zola jesus | x. alone in kyoto - air | xi. house of the rising sun - lauren o’connell | xii. gallows - cocorosie | xiii. cosmic love (acoustic) - florence + the machine | xiv. child i will hurt you - crystal castles | xv. cry little sister - gerard mcmann | xvi. walking on air - kerli | xvii. in the room where you sleep - dead man’s bones | xviii. sam - massive attack
These are good!
THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY EXISTENCE
an actual remix and not just the songs layered on each other??? FINALLY. i hate it when tumblr is like “oh man BEST REMIX EVER” and it sounds like shit because it’s literally just two songs on top of each other like ugh.
Oh this is fabulous
*loses drink in scotland* where did my Glasgow.
For when you find that specal someone
an eggagment ring
DELETE YOUR BLOG
whether or not a woman shaves is hardly the biggest issue we have going on when the dragons are coming back and ulfric stormcloak murdered the high king WITH HIS VOICE. SHOUTED HIM APART
| See No Evil | "The stars are his eyes."
Kaligethon, who controls the thunder and the fire.